The charity has bought the freehold interest of 2 Wakley Street, a building that currently measures 7,591ft2 and has the potential to extend and create a total space of 9,932ft2.
Constructed in the 1980s, the building remains in fairly much its original condition with the Dogs Trust intending to carry out a light refurbishment before taking occupation. The existing offices at number 17 will be retained.
Dogs Trust was founded in 1891 when “a small party of gentlemen brought together by Lady Gertrude Stock during the first ever Crufts dog show” formed the National Canine Defence League. Since then the charity has gone on to open centres all around the country and today cares for over 17,000 dogs each year through its network of 20 rehoming centres in the UK - and one in Dublin.
Dogs Trust has also been involved in every piece of legislation affecting dogs over the past 125 years, from minimising their distress from fireworks to the way they are transported and general cruelty. In 1978, the charity’s former CEO coined the phrase ‘A dog is for life, not just for Christmas’ which still chimes today.